"The discovery of a new dish confers more happiness on humanity, Than the
discovery of a new star" - Brillat Savarin





Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thinking Spring..

It's that time again..by far my favorite time a year....the kitchen comfortably cool ... the day light slowly creeping back it's normal self ....the garden awaking.. the swans returning to our beautiful lake out back that's rippling with a cascade of colour from the trees above ....spring to me is a revival ... a break from tough skinned produce of winter ...and the return of fresh delicate first of the season produce... Being a chef in New England , Spring marks the beginning of a plethora of amazing Ingredients ... I worked with a lot of farmers when i started at the crane brook in may..
some one of my favorite is Lucky Fields Organics Weston took great strides to provide our restaurant with some of the most amazing produce I've ever seen. pea tendrils , parcel ,ramps , garlic scape's etc. there is something about serving my guests a tomato mozzarella plate featuring tomatoes that were harvested 4 hours prior... they also offer a CSA program witch allows families to pay as little as $300 to feed a family of four from June to October .... Spring to me culinary Wise means light and bold i try to vear away from really heavy sauces in spring and tend to lean more towards fruit and vegetable purees as sauces ... I love to work with spring lamb, spring chicken , ostrich , scallops , salmon , .... Do i have any idea what i intend to work with no ... planning a menu that starts from one extreme and ends at another is sort of difficult , but that challenge is what i do what i do ....maybe an amazing vegan hummus with muhumara and lemon oil ..maybe I'll throw a patron and saduchi marinated chicken with compressed watermelon radish , huitlacolche hash... we'll see and I'll keep you guys posted...

No comments: