"The discovery of a new dish confers more happiness on humanity, Than the
discovery of a new star" - Brillat Savarin





Monday, January 25, 2010

Johnny Boys Birthday..




My Cousin Johnny Had a surprise birthday on Sunday. The whole family got together which is always a ton of fun. All off our offspring meet up for hours of controlled insanity. John Boy is a fellow chef so we always have a ton of stuff to talk about, which is awesome to do with out the pressure and stress of the of the work place or school. For his Birthday me and my wife wanted to prepare a late supper for Johnny, something cool that he'll remember for years to come. I had recently Butchered a 80 pound Doe, And harvested about 25 pounds of fresh venison. It was air chilled in the brisk Duxbury air, which has a hint of sea salt. I took a venison Shoulder and crusted the outside with Ancho Chili, Juniper, Szechuan Peppercorn and sea salt and slow roasted it for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees, I Made a Fresh Cranberry relish laced with ginger, Cinnamon, and blood orange . I also made a juniper syrup ( i would of loved a little Elderflower in it) that was later strained and whipped into an Air. it was served with Bacon, Maple, and Pecan roasted Brussels sprouts, on a bed of honey chipotle yam puree. I personally thought that everything was yummy. We also popped off a vegetarian meal with Almond crusted Tofu with a mint chili glaze on a Fuji apple apple slaw laced with kim chee puree. This was so unexpectedly delicious that me and my wife recreated and refined it a bit for last nights supper......... Happy b-day John Boy.......



1 comment:

Heather Lynn said...

That tofu was absolutely incredible! I also loved the slaw. Our family dinners are the best :)